Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009

How to use exceute Perl Command

Hi,
I am a newbie in Perl. I ha just finished up a couple of days learning the programming language. I am working on assignment to create a simple program in Perl. I am now stuck in exec part of Perl. I am not getting a proper result when I implement this syntax. I had tried the same many time from start. But no progress yet. Can anyone post some solution that can help me to figure out how to execute a Perl command. That means how can I use exec and system in the same. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2009

Re: How to use exceute Perl Command

The format of exec is as listed below. You can match your work with it which can help you to figure out the difference in your work. In Perl both exec() and system() are able to execute a system shell command. The only main difference between both the function is that if you use exec() function then it will just simply execute the command and while system() executes the command and wait that the command is executed successfully and denotes that by returning a value.
exec(PROGRAM);
$result = system(PROGRAM);
Old 12-09-2009

The function of exec is used to execute a command in Perl directly that does not return back any calling script. The operation works when there is a single scalar argument which does not has any shell metacharacters. After that the argument is converted to list and the command is executed with no shell. Here a list consist of more than single argument or a array that contains more than one value. See the sample below.
exec {'/bin/csh'} '-sh'; # pretend it's a login shell
Old 12-09-2009

I am listing some samples that can help you to execute a program either by using exec() function or system() function. First in exec() it just simply runs a commands without any feedback. So you does not get aware that does the command is successful or not. But the same in system() case is more reliable. If you execute a command by this function then it gives you feedback in value up on the success of command in the shell.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,