Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009

How can I make PHP wait

I have developed a webpage in PHP that accesses server at regular interval of time. However, sometimes it requires more time to get the response from the server. So I need for the form to wait few seconds and then proceed. Is there any method in PHP that allows me to make the page wait till the timer goes off?
Old 11-09-2009

Re: How can I make PHP wait

The below are the functions that you can implement in your web page to force PHP wait for certain time interval:

Quote:
sleep(time_period_in_seconds);
or

Quote:
usleep(time_period_in_milliseconds);
But make sure while using sleep(), you also mention that the 30 second is the run time limit so that it doesn't exceed while sleeping.
Old 11-09-2009

According to me, you can try out time(). It will return a timestamp that increments with each second. Get the current time and subtract the stored time with this and if it is less then either display a message or allow them to wait for the remaining time before getting a response.
Old 11-09-2009

The best way would be to show the error message to the user informing to let them continue, however, in my case, if I want to insert a delay time in my PHP script I call the function sleep(). The syntax of sleep():

Quote:
int sleep (int $seconds)

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,