Thread: What are the different ways to login to a remote server?

What are the different ways to login to a remote server?

Can anyone tell me what are the different ways anyone can login to remote server..this is because if one way does not work then I will be prefer the other way so that my work will not stop for some remote login problem..

Thanks for you help

Re: What are the different ways to login to a remote server?

There are multiple ways to remotely access a server. RAS, PC Anywhere, Citrix, VPN, etc.

there are two main ways:

Telnet: very insecure since it sends everything you type (inc usernames and passwords) in plain, unencrypted text.

I am assuming the remote server is VPN enabled, if so, you must load the VPN client software on your machine and then you will be able to access the server.and the second ways is:

ssh: far more secure (use the ssh2 protocol since the first one had a nasty flaw in it). This encrypts everything before sending it.

ssh (secured shell) is a good way to log in a remote server/ computer u need a ssh client for windows system the most common is PuTTy advantage includes, you just need to Copy the file id_rsa.pub to the $HOME/.ssh directory of the machine you wish to connect to, where $HOME is the directory of the user you would like to connect as. /root/.ssh in the case you would like to connect as root. you could just run all applications as if its running on your system and hence easy managing and disadvantage is what if you leaked your ssh key and password.

I have some doubts in my mind When you say "remote login", can you be more collaborative which program are you talking about. There are a number of different ways to login into a remote computer. Anyway you do it, you will have to start a specific program to connect to the remote computer. An always-on server can come in all kinds of handy for running automated tasks, syncing your data, remote controlling downloads and acting as a proxy.