Thread: Difference between J2EE,J2SE and J2ME

Difference between J2EE,J2SE and J2ME

I am noob in JAVA and recently started learning it. I want to install it on my computer. When I searched for downloading it, I found all these names. Which one should I go for? What is the difference between J2EE,J2SE and J2ME? Which one is advised for a new comer in Java?

Re: Difference between J2EE,J2SE and J2ME

J2EE, J2SE and J2ME are various forms of JAVA, in the same way as we have in Windows operating system namely Windows Vista Home Edition, Windows Vista Home Basic Edition, Windows Vista Business Edition and Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. J2EE stands for "Java 2 Platform Enterprise Edition" for enterprise applications, support distributed deployment. J2SE stands for "Java 2 Platform Standard Edition Standard Edition" for desktop applications. J2ME stands for "Java 2 Platform Micro Edition" for small mobile devices. You need to install J2SE for your home computer.

J2SE is Sun's platform that includes the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and packages. You will also find Swing and Networking in this installation. J2EE includes tools to create frameworks, API specifications suitable for companies. J2EE also includes JSP, JavaMail and Servlets. J2ME is a Micro Edition of java that runs on portable, mobile and handheld devices.

J2ME provides a robust, built-in network protocols, flexible environment for applications running on mobile and other embedded devices such as mobile phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), TV set-top boxes, and printers.

J2SE lets you develop and deploy Java applications on desktops and servers, as well as today's demanding Embedded and Real-Time environments.

J2EE is the industry standard for implementing enterprise-class service-oriented architecture (SOA) and next-generation web applications. The SDKs contain Sun GlassFish Enterprise Server, previously named Sun Java System Application Server, and provide support for Java EE 5 specifications.

williamjems Guest

Hi Everyone..

Here are some difference which i Know.

1) J2SE is the Java 2 Standard Edition that contains your basic core Java classes. This is the one that most people use to write your standard applets and applications.
    2) J2EE is the Java 2 Enterprise Edition and it contains classes that go above and beyond J2SE. In fact, you will need J2SE in order to use many of the classes in J2EE. Some of the things that J2EE provides are server-side classes such as Servlets and EJB's. It also contains Security API, Java Mail API, XML Parsers etc., Java Messaging Service API, and a few others. A few of these API's have been included in the new J2SE 1.4 version and are now considered standard. The XML API is an example of this.
    3) J2ME is for developers that code to portable devices, such as a palm pilot or a cellular phone. Code on these devices needs to be small in size and take less memory. So you will want to use J2ME if you code for a PDA.

Hope this will help you.
    Thank you.