Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 31-08-2009

Closing out a form in Visual Basic

Hi friends,

I have created an application in Visual Basic 6, where i have a splash form which calls main form, which calls many other forms too. But when i am trying to close the main form using unload me then steps through all of the unfinished procedures. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening and should i mention few global variables at the same time.
Old 31-08-2009

Completely closing out a form

If that's the case then i would suggest you hide all your frames by using the following code
Code:
frmMain1.Hide
or
FrmMain1.Visible = False
or even 
frmMain1.Left= -10000 ' sticks the form way off screen
At the same time if you think that any form is very heavy then try to many the functions and variables as possible to a bas module. Also make a note that as as long as even a single variable on a form is active/needed then the form will stay in memory. If the function of the Main form is to call others then i would suggest you to use a Sub Main rather than a form to serve as a switchboard.
Old 31-08-2009

Thanks for replying me but i don't want any of my form to be hiding, i need to completely clean NEW instance of the form, according to me a variable is still being active which is the root cause of my problem. How can I ensure that none of the variables are still needed.
Old 31-08-2009

In that case simply move everything in declaration section of the form to bas module and also move procedures which are not directly linked to the form to the bas module and also remove any calls to the controls from modules or other forms or else you can also use the following code too

Code:
unload Mainform1
unload Mainform2

Dim frmOpen As form1
Set frmOpen = New form1
frmOpen.Show

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,