Thread: How to Parse CSV file using PERL

How to Parse CSV file using PERL

I have a bit of an issue trying to obtain some data from a csv file using PERL. I am trying to write a perl program which parses CSV files, and inserts the data into the DB. The problem is that i need to parse csv files which have fields spanning multiple lines. My script is placed in /usr/local. Can anyone here suggest me which rules should I keep in mind to parse CSV files.

Re: How to Parse CSV file using PERL

CSV is a comma separated value data file is a physical ASCII file structure that contains records whose values are delimited or separated by commas. Traditionally CVS also uses optional double quotes around the values, and then, depending on which wicked version of Excel it's supposed to be incompatible with, more or less insane conventions for values with double quotes in them. CSV is a common file type which can be imported into spreadsheet applications such as MS-Excel, database applications such as MS-Access, and contact databases such as MS-Outlook, ACT, Goldmine, etc. The Text::CSV module provides functions for both parsing and producing CSV data.

When you are developing across platforms for a client that insists 'modules' are not allowed, and the perl program must be totally self contained.I guess the actual problem is that you are comparing the lines before throwing out the fields you don't want to include in the comparison. you find the reasoning for the way I explained the solution. CSV is one implementation of a delimited text file, which uses a comma to separate values (where many implementations of CSV import/export tools allow an alternate separator to be used;

I tried hand earlier in the day and was able to download and install the module. And it worked well too. But now i have to parse the XML file instead of csv. I guess the actual problem is that you are comparing the lines before throwing out the fields you don't want to include in the comparison. The simplest solution would be to read the uploaded file line-by-line and splitting the lines by commas, but this is not fool proof, just in case the one of the fields contain a comma which is not a delimiter but a part of the dataBefore you print, copy the print value to a hash, and if the hash already contains the value, don't print.