Thread: ListView or ListBox

ListView or ListBox

I am currently using 8000+ items in a ListView and this will increase with time. But the problem is that the time of my form loading and search result is too slow. This is affecting my project performance. I consulted with some of my expert friends and they suggested me to use ListBox because it supports more than this. So I want to ask you which is better for projects: ListView or ListBox which will be handling more than 10000 of items.

Re: ListView or ListBox

A ListBox is simple and relatively lightweight. The ListView gives you a lot more control over appearance then ListBox. But ListView reduces the project performance and requires additional dependencies. On the contrary, ListBox improves project performance. ListView's are more Object Oriented than the ListBox.

A ListView is a special kind of ListBox that inherits all the functionalities of ListBox. It not only allows you to list items but also specifies them in different views. It is often called as multi-column ListBox. In your case, if you do not want all this functionalities and want a simple and normal straight view then you can go for ListBox.

ListView is used to present the data items which is defined by its view mode. Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) provides a GridView view mode that partitions the ListView data item content into columns. Whereas ListBox displays the list items in straight view and is used when layout is not important. Even we have used ListBox in our project.