Thread: filemaker search to display custom dialog

filemaker search to display custom dialog

I created a test database consisting of just a script which uses Show Custom Dialog to show 4 lines of text. When the run-time version of this database worked fine, showing all 4 lines, I returned to my actual run-time solution. The way I intend to have this script run is, there will be a custom dialog box asking the user if they would like to submit to save the record where they will either choose yes, no, or cancel (cancel so they can make further changes). Is Any possible to validate inputs by using custom dialog box ?

Re: filemaker search to display custom dialog

A script can be run on exit from the custom dialog - you can use this script to validate the entry. So basically you want the user create a new record, fill in data and at the end a choice to 'save' the new record if the Yes button is pressed or delete the record if No ?

Code:
    if (get(lastmessagechoice)=1
      script1
    else if get(lastmessagechoice)=2
      script2
    endif

The custom message dialog box can take user input for up to three fields in the database, and display data from up to three fields in the database. The Show Custom Dialog Box step allows the developer to script a message dialog box to come up on independent of the FileMaker screen and Using a calculated value. Is there a way to set an If command referencing a particular layout? So you could run a script and if you are in a certain layout it would change the print preferences?

A FileMaker layout is a better choice when working with dates. None of the dialog plugins give you a drop down calendar option like a native FileMaker date field.The fields that you use for data entry do not have to be on the current layout and field validation you have setup for the selected fields will still take place. I would think that would be nicer than a value list.