Thread: some Javascript files only recognize in IE and not in others

some Javascript files only recognize in IE and not in others

I have some Javascript file, I found that these file works only with some of the web browser and not with all the browsers such as it is recognized or opens fine with the IE and when i try to open in the Firefox its cross hair remains searching, how this has to be sort out. what do i do so that it will get compatible with the other browsers as well, Please help

Re: some Javascript files only recognize in IE and not in others

It's best to use object detection to accomplish what you need, or use conditional comments. But if you need to detect IE6, Instead of testing in IE, to save time (single programmer not all that skilled) I'd like to just put in a script in my first included file that test for browser and if not firefox or safari. or to target any one of the IE version on there own is quite simple, add the version number to the expression above, e.g. <!--[If IE 6]> HTML <![endif]--> will target IE6 only.

Make sure that you call the script when the document has finished loading (that will mean that you will not be able to use document.write()) , otherwise make sure you don't use the XHTML doctype. The comment is not HTML and is therefore ignored by other browsers who will continue to parse the HTML within.

Sometimes you just have to sniff for Internet Explorer 6 (and under) in JavaScript. Using conditional comments is a decent solution, using invalid HTML is never something that should be encouraged, particularly as we move towards XHTML and serving webpages as well formed XML which will break if invalid structures are used. If you're not using XHTML (you'll know if your not) it still pays to avoid using hacky Javascript methods to generate HTML elements during rendering.