Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009

How to check with vb.net whether excel file is open

Some time it happens that Excel sheet remains open, I heard that we can manage this through code, so please tell me know how do I include code so that it checks if the workbook is open already or closed, if it is closed, then it is simply return the message that "file is closed". Also what control do I use to store a file path on a windows form so that at run time it runs that file.
Old 10-08-2009

Re: How to check with vb.net whether excel file is open

Instead of Excel.Workbooks(name of workbook) try using Excel.Windows.Item(name of workbook). Check if that is nothing. The part that I used to determine if the file is open, I found somewhere on the web, I'll have to determine where later, and Edit this to include that info. If it's nothing, the workbook is not open, otherwise it'll return a collection of methods and properties, such as the index of the workbook.
Old 10-08-2009

Here's some code that I put together, I found somewhere on the web, You need to use error handling and the GtObject in combination with CreateObject in case its not open it will get created. I'll have to determine where later, and Edit this to include that info.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim xl As New Excel.Application
Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
Set xl = New Excel.Application
Set wb = xl.Workbooks.Open("G:\\JOBLIST\JOBLIST.xls")
On Error Resume Next
wb.Activate
If Err = 0 Then MsgBox "Workbook is Open" Else "Workbook is Closed"
End Sub
Old 10-08-2009

First you may need to iterate through all the processes running in the memory to check whether at all if excel is running. If its open, then give a message that "excel_filename.xls is already open. Creating file excel_filename.xls"
Generate file excel_filename.xls". If its not open, no message required. Create file "excel_filename.xls". to avoid receiving a prompt that the file already existed, but I'm not sure how the file seems to be being created and named by the Filename variable, before the "oWB.SaveAs Filename" command.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,