Thread: How to create, deploy and use DB2 stored procedure

How to create, deploy and use DB2 stored procedure

I have somehow managed to take the db2 database from my colleague, but am very literally new to the stored procedure of any of the database, and we have stored procedure in our syllabus and there anyhow I have to managed it, So please provide me information about how to create, deploy and use DB2 stored procedure.

Re: How to create, deploy and use DB2 stored procedure

A stored procedure runs on the database server. If a procedure is encapsulated logic that can be invoked from within your application, then a stored procedure is simply a procedure that is stored on the database server. A client application can call the stored procedure which then performs the database accessing without returning unnecessary data across the network.

Grouping SQL statements together can save on network traffic. One way is (a) to SELECT the record to see if the customer exists, (b) to UPDATE the record if it does, and (c) to INSERT a new record if it does not. Grouping SQL statements results in two trips across the network for each group of statements, resulting in better performance for applications.

DB2 has offered an ever improving support for developing and operating stored procedures. DB2 expands on the definition of a stored procedure by allowing you to code them in just about any language you may need. DB2 gives you two different kinds of stored procedures. The major difference between a SQL procedure and an external procedure is that SQL procedures are, obviously, written in SQL. This means that the logic for the procedure is defined within the SQL procedure body itself.