Thread: How to take backup of tempdb transaction Log Files?

How to take backup of tempdb transaction Log Files?

Can you please explain how to make a backup for the log file. This is because i have given my site for web hosting and i have started taking the backup of all the log files, there i found Tempdb Transaction Log being full and getting an error 9002 severity 17 state 2? When i generate the log file it forward me the 4 GIG size. which i think i have not taken the backup properly, Please suggest..

Re: How to take backup of tempdb transaction Log Files?

The SQL Server transaction log can become full, which prevents further UPDATE, DELETE, or INSERT activity in the database, including CHECKPOINT. You can check out the actual size of the tempdb using sp_helpdb 'tempdb'. If it is not negative you don't have to worry and tempdb goes on increasing when required.

Have you check whether you have enough disk space on logfile partition? Have you ever truncate (with backup log) your log file...? Backing up the log frees space by removing committed transactions from the log. This is usually seen as error 1105: and this can happen on any database, including master or tempdb. and the error 1105 suggest the following: Can't allocate space for object syslogs in database dbname because the log segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment.

Your SQL Server might be experienced a power failure, operating system crash, automatically recovering the database to a consistent state. And as per me Recovery model simple shouldn't grow your logfile. Maybe some application never commits or a lot of image/text manipulations are going on using the with log option but no commits.