Thread: How to implement the sharepoint site definitions

How to implement the sharepoint site definitions

Can anyone provide me the site definition for sharepoint, What is it? How do i Implement it? How it would be beneficial for me? I have heard lot about it but unable to get any information regarding it.

Re: How to implement the sharepoint site definitions

Customizing portal sites and other SharePoint sites using site definitions is most appropriate for third-party developers and server administrators. A good one to use is the SharePoint team site definition, physically represented by the STS folder and the first thing to do was to create a new WEBTEMP.XML file for my site definition and it will be found at drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\TEMPLATE\1033 on the server that is running Windows SharePoint Services. Because site definitions require access to the file systems of the Web server, server administrators must always be involved in the deployment of site definitions.

Site definitions are collections of physical files located in drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\TEMPLATE and in language-specific folders, Although deploying a site definition requires more work, site definitions typically perform better when cached on the file system instead of in the database.

Site templates only work on SharePoint sites that are not portal sites Each front-end Web server in a deployment of WSS has a WEBTEMP.XML file located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\XML\ folder. The first file to examine in closer detail is Onet.xml. It is an extremely important file within your site definition. Figure 2 summarizes the six major sections within Onet.xml.