Thread: Does java parse large text file

Does java parse large text file

I have fairly large text file in Java and the size for that file would be nearly about 20 mb. Could i be able to use the java for doing this or should i go for shell scripting? and what could be the maximum size of a file that could be parsed with java. Like for example can i parse a txt file whose size is > 20 m.b. and parsing such big file will have any impact on the perfomance.

Re: Does java parse large text file

Java does not have a built in method to count the number of times a String appears. Fortunately, it's quite simple to implement one. garbage collection is something to keep in mind. If you produce hundreds of thousands of tokens from the file you're parsing, then you will need to tune the VM for max performance.

The parsing is some text files that are stored in a folder and the size of the each file could be between 20 to 30 m.b ColdFusion parses XML document and it needs to able to load and parse the entire document in memory before it can return a result to you. I wouldn't dare say that without some figures to back it up. Both Scanner and String.split use a java.util.regex.Pattern object.

I am using the substring method of the String class to parse out the individual fields. I read the input record into a String variable and substring out the individual fields. Some of the files have as many as 150-200 fields on a record. I have also notice that parsing is done for small file, but while passing huge size file , the JVM memory issue occurs