Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 21-07-2009

question Help With Serveral Functions in Javascript

I have a form that the user will input three fields: body, mind, and soul. I want the functions to calculate the health, energy, acv1, and dcv1 and put those values into the fields in the form for the user to see as well as to be submitted in the form. Here is my form:

HTML Code:
<form action="testfunction.php" method="post">
<table border="0">
  <tr>
    <td>Body:</td>
    <td><input type="text" onKeyUp="handle('body','soul','health')" name="body" size="10" maxlength="2"></td>
  </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Mind:</td>
    <td><input type="text" onKeyUp="handle('mind','soul','energy')" name="mind" size="10" maxlength="2"></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Soul:</td>
    <td><input type="text" onKeyUp="handle('body','soul','health')" name="soul" size="10" maxlength="2"></td>
  </tr>

<tr>
    <td></td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Health Points:</td>
    <td><input type="text" onKeyUp="handle('body','soul')"
 name="health" size="10" maxlength="3" disabled="true" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Energy Points:</td>
    <td><input type="text" onKeyUp="handle('mind','soul')" name="energy" size="10" maxlength="3" disabled="true" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Attack Combat Value:</td>

<td><input type="text" name="acv1" size="10" maxlength="3" disabled="true" /> </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>(Special Attack)</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="acv2" size="10" maxlength="3" disabled="true" /> </td>
  </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Defense Combat Value:</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="dcv1" size="10" maxlength="30" disabled="true" /> </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>(Special Defense)</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="dcv2" size="10" maxlength="3" disabled="true" /> </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Total Character Points:</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="total_cp" size="10" maxlength="3" value="10" disabled="true" /> </td>
  </tr>
</table>
<p style="text-align: center" class="submit"><input type="submit" value="Create Character" />
<input type="reset" value="Reset" /></p>

</form>
The calculations I need are as follows:

Health - [(Body+Soul)x5]
Energy - [(Mind+Soul)x5]
ACV1 - [(Body+Mind+Soul)/3] (floored)
DCV1 - [(Body+Mind+Soul)/3] (floored) - 2

Can someone help me on how I would write these functions? Someone was helping me with two of the functions, but they were unable to help with the last two functions, and I am unable to understand how I can alter the function they wrote. Here is the function they provided:

<script type="text/javascript">
function handle(a,b,c) {
var e = document.getElementsByTagName('input');
for (i in e) {
if (e[i].name == a) a = e[i];
if (e[i].name == b) b = e[i];
if (e[i].name == c) c = e[i];
}
c.value = (Number(a.value) + Number(b.value)) * 5;
}

</script>

Can this script be altered to work with my other two values needed, ACV1 AND DCV1? Or do I need to write a completely new function that would work with all four? Can someone help me out with these functions? I am COMPLETELY new to JavaScript and I have written functions in PHP, but I need them to display the values in the form when the user types in the other three, and with PHP, I can only save them or display them on another page after the form is submitted. Or I probably could have the form action set to itself, btu I'm not sure how I would display the results in the form fields. It seems JavaScript would be the easiest int his situation. Can anyone help? Please?

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: