Thread: How to enable BITS service

How to enable BITS service

Recently i was trying to install .net Framework 3.0 in order to update and freeware photo editing program on my pc.Now the problem is that when i try to install it, it says that it can't install because the "Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)" is not enabled on your pc. So, can any body tell me that how can i enable BITS on my pc? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: How to enable BITS service

Start> Run> Services.msc, double click Background Intelligent Transfer Service and set it to Automatic, then Start, then Apply.

BITS caching is useful in a scenario where there is no WSUS server, and all clients are going out to Microsoft Update to download and install hotfixes. A BITS-enabled distribution point must have Internet Information Services (IIS) installed and WebDAV enabled, which increases the attack surface on that computer and can increase administrative overhead.

It is able to do this by transferring data in smaller chunks, using unused bandwidth when available, and then reassembling the data when it has all been received. One of the most popular uses for BITS is Microsoft Update. For that you need to download and install, and configure WebDAV manually on BITS-enabled distribution points running Windows Server. You might also have to edit the requestFiltering section of the applicationHost.config file if your packages contain extensions that are blocked.

Normally, each computer on the LAN would go out to the Microsoft Update site and each download there own set of hotfixes to be installed. In order to enable BITS service, you need to follow the below steps mention.

1. Browse to the virtual directory in IIS Manager.
    2. From the features view of the virtual directory, double-click BITS Uploads.
    3. Select the Allow clients to upload files check box, and then click Apply.

By default, BITS IIS Server Extension uses the settings from the parent Web site of the virtual directory. If these settings are not present, then BITS Server uses its default settings. You can change the behavior of BITS Server for the virtual directory by selecting the Customize Settings option.