Thread: How to create Firefox Extension

How to create Firefox Extension

Hi,
    I am using Mozilla Firefox in my system for browsing internet. I want to develop some extension in Firefox. I need some steps to generate new extensions in Mozilla Firefox. How can I setup a extension development environment in Firefox. Also how to setup the extension without using old settings in Mozilla Firefox. Thanks.

Re: How to create Firefox Extension

First you will need to setup your environment to develop extension. Then plan you extension. I am listing some example to make your work easy. The example here provides a menu option that will generate a message in a window. To do this you will need the following fils. chrome.manifest, intall.rdf, overlay.xul, overlay.js, overlay.dtd, hi.dtd, overlay.css, hi.xul, higuys @ mozilla.doslash.org... Name the files as you want. Then follow the below folder style and create a extension. You will have to edit each file mentioned above and put then in the below folder structure.
    higuys/ chrome.manifest, install.rdf, content/ overlay.js, overlay.xul, hello.xul, locale/ en-US/ overlay.dtd, hi.dtd, skin/ overlay.css

To first setup a new extension you will need to follow some steps. So that you Firefox does not get any harm. Sometime the extension does not work. This is due to poor development of the extension. By Profiles you can save your Firefox settings and then restore them back if you do not want the extension anymore. Go to Start > Run > type cmd and give the command - windows directory\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox>firefox.exe -profilemanager. Create a new profile in that and run it. Then add up new extension and check out that they are working or not. If you have any trouble then in the same way restore your profile.

Mozilla Firefox offers an extension add on tab to create new extensions. You can try that. But first setup and extension development environment by creating a profile and setting up preferences. To create a separate profile use the below code :"" "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -P dev. Now in mozilla open the about:config file and create a new entries for the below list.
    • javascript.options.showInConsole = true
    • nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache = true
    • browser.dom.window.dump.enabled = true
    • javascript.options.strict = true
    • javascript.options.strict = true

Then open fire fox and click on tools add on. In the the add on box go to the get addon and type extension tab.