Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009

How to write pause, sleep, wait function

Is there such a thing as sleep command via actionscript? I have an arrow in the first frame of my movie and I want that the arrow moves about 50 pixels. And that same arrow should be moving, 5 seconds after the movie entered frame 1. The only results I get on a search for "actionscript sleep" or "actionscript pause" are in regards to the timeline. Is there any Flash function that will prevent code execution of current script from a predefined time (i.e. 500msec) without consuming CPU usage?
Old 07-07-2009

Re: How to write pause, sleep, wait function

You need use from inerval and call function whit (setInterval) and when you want to stop function use (clearInerval). I tried a big for loop for a while, but that seems to also freeze ALL the flash on a page while its counting, and that is unacceptable.

Code:
  function callback() {
      clearInterval(callback_int);
      _root.pijl.posy = -50;
      };
      var callback_int = setInterval(this, "callback", 5000);
Old 07-07-2009

But the actionscript you showed to me showed that it is not much different from the Javascript delay timer scripts... I haven't thought about that at first so I think it would work.If you want the setInterval to constantly call the function every X seconds then remove the clearInterval(callback_int); line of code from the function. Hope that makes sense. One of the beautiful things about setInterval was (and is) that you can pass arguments to the activated function when the timer expired:

Code:
public function setInterval(closure:Function, delay:Number, ... arguments):uint
Old 07-07-2009

But with the interval function you have to break your code to 2 functions: One of your main function, one on the interval function (to be executed after the flag change). First, the Tween class is not available in AS 2.0, that is something specific to AS 3.0, so please verify the version of actionscript you are using. Your code has a mixture of AS2.0 and AS 3.0 which won't work. Get that straight and things will work out.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,