Thread: What is Shadowing in C# ?

What is Shadowing in C# ?

I have recently started to learn C# programming language. I am very much confused with the basic concepts of C#. I am that technically sound and same applies to programming for me. I want to know what is Shadowing concept in C#. I have tried to research a lot on this but failed to understand anything. Please help.

Re: What is Shadowing in C# ?

Using the keyword 'new' a programmer can hide an inherited method. This is termed as Shadowing concept of Object Oriented Programming. And C Sharp also includes this shadowing concept. Let us assume that two elements of a program have the same name. in such a situation we can use one program element to hide another. This forms the Shadowing concept in C Sharp.

I am aware of a type of Shadowing that C-sharp supports, it is called Shadowing through scope. C-sharp allows same name for elements of the programs which are in the same class or module but with difference in scope. This is known as Shadowing through scope in C-sharp. Even I was confused on this concept of Shadowing in C-sharp.

There is a concept in C# to hide same named program element this is called Shadowing concept in C#. Shadowing is also possible through inheritance in C#. Any set of overloaded elements or declared elements can be shadowed with any other type. But do not mix shadowing concept with over riding-concept in C#.