Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-06-2009

Clear Transaction Log in Exchange 2007

My transaction log file is grown up to a big size. I do not have any backup software installed in my system. I want to clear the transaction log file to get some disc space. How can I do this. What are the necessary steps by which I can clear the log file without affecting my data base. Is there a way by which I can set the server to clear the file automatically.
Old 26-06-2009

Re: Clear Transaction Log in Exchange 2007

The logs files are recommended to clear along with performing a complete backup of the server. If in case the back up fails to clear the log file that means that there can be some other reason causing the accumulation of log files to an particular extent that is filling the disk partition. Here is the procedure to fix the problem. First using Microsoft SQL Server create a new database. Name it ExchangeBuffer with size of 1GB allotment. Then locate the new database to the Exchange server's transaction log partition. Once the file is located then delete it. This will remove the database as well as the related logs.
Old 26-06-2009

The transaction logs must be deleted by a full backup of exchange. Try to accumulate some space on your server which can be use for windows backup. The backup clears the logs when the backup is completed. It is an windows utility and easiest way. You database is also secured here. So there is no new thing to install.
Old 26-06-2009

Microsoft Exchange does not have a option to delete the transaction log files automatically. You will had to perform the action manually. The best option is to run the full backup. In this the log files are deleted automatically. First back up the local drive and also network drive if it is there. Run full backups and make sure that the proper server is selected.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , ,