Thread: Set Priority in a web server

Set Priority in a web server

I am using Ms FrontPage 2003 with my home page with extention index.html. I want to change this to index.aspx. So how can I do this. Second thing I want to ask what is the directory index hierarchy of windows server. I have a another website for a project work. Here the problem is that the IIS is not recognizing the web page. Thanks.

Re: Set Priority in a web server

You can do the same from IIS control panel. To change the the page extension from .html to .aspx follow these instructions. Go to your IIS control pane and right click on the web site. Then select properties from the right click menu. Go to the documents tab and add here index.aspx in the list. This the place where the changes will take effect. Add the file index.aspx in the list of dialog box and press OK.

Directory Index Hierarchy is a kind of naming order for web servers. The web server use the information in the list load your home page files. It is the order of web servers. The list includes the below information. Here the first one default.asp is taken as the most prior over any other filename in the list. Or you can say it is the first file which is displayed by the web server. If it not found then the server looks for default.htm and then if it si not available then it looks for index.htm and so on.
    1. default.asp
    2. default.htm
    3. index.htm
    4. index.html
    5. index.asp
    6. default.aspx
    7. index.aspx

There can be multiple reason behind IIS not recognizing the web page. For the IIS problem first check that your IIS is configured to run with asp.net. To do so go to c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\framework\v2.0xxxx. Give the following command - aspnet_regiis -i. Restart your system. If still it not recognizing then open the IIS control panel. Stop the site there and then select properties by right clicking on it. Make sure that there is a correct version of asp.net.tab is running, if it is there. Then from the document tab create a default.aspx and move this to top of the list. Remove all others from the list. Close the box restart your system and check it out.