Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 24-06-2009

Singleton in AS2

Hiya

I'm struck with a question about implementing a Singleton class in AS2. I'm doing a project on nav/tracking frame, for that i need only one instance of the shell class.
this is the method that ever noted
mySingleton.getInstance().doMethod();

Wouldn't it be easier to make doMethod a static function?
mySingleton.doMethod();

Also, if I want to assign my lone class to a _global var, does that cause any problems? And how can i do

import com.MyClass;
_global.shell = MyClass; is this actual way?

thanks.....
Old 24-06-2009

Re: Singleton in AS2

Normally we all use a Singleton when you want to access a class from multiple places,indeed you should make sure that all those references point to a single instance of the class

but on the same time, static class methods are called on the class itself, and have no instance at alll. Static methods are better for one time function calls, that do not rely on retaining data between calls

now If you want to go for the Singleton method, no need to make it a global variable,because any object that references mySingleton.getInstance() will return the same instance of the Singleton object....

good for you.....
Old 24-06-2009

Well many times when you need only one instance of an object.In fact in many cases Singletons are the core classes of the Model View Controller Pattern,which is core to just about every Flash Application you’ll ever create.
Further, it may be inappropriate, resource hungry or less efficient to have multiple instances.
Old 24-06-2009

For abstract classes, it's not supported, never have been, but still confused
whether or not they ever will be in ActionScript.
Trying to create them anyway using runtime exceptions just seems ridiculous to me..
If you are going to use ActionScritp, then learn ActionScript and program in ActionScript. When you program in, python, you have a different mindset, different tools and features than you do ......

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,