Thread: MSDE,SQL server does not exist in XP

MSDE,SQL server does not exist in XP

I have recently upgraded my system from Windows XP SP2 to XP SP3.

When i tried to execute some programs on this platform i saw that my ado.net connection on my programs do not work anymore; i receive this exception message:"MSDE, SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

I checked for the port details, port TCP 1433 and 1434 has been assigned to firewall.cpl and it did not fix the problem.

We have checked our network and every thing looks fines. Can any one help me with this problem?

Re: MSDE,SQL server does not exist in XP

Can you connect using Query Analyser using the EXACT same name for the
    server you are using in your ADO.Net connect string? Check in the SQL Database, the users to be specific, that ASPNET has the needed security permissions, Try testing the network connectivity first.
    can you ping your sql server from win2k machine?
    have you used any a default instances? if so then are you able to change port to 1433 of your SQL server from win2k machine?
    Do you have any sql server aliases defined on your win2k client machines?
    Have you checked whether you are able to connect to your SQL server using query analyzer from a win2k machine?

You need to follow the following steps to check whether it has any problem.

• Before starting for the procedure you need to Verify that SQL Server or MSDE is installed and running (see SQL Server and MSDE Installation Verification for details).
    • If you are willing to connect remotely (to a server on a different machine), make sure your connection is not blocked by any firewalls on either machines including Windows built-in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) and Windows Firewall.And for that you need to Contact to your system administrator for firewall configuration.
    • There may be the possibility that you need to refer to an instance of SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000 other than the default instance, use the convention <server_name>\<instance_name> (example ProdServ\Sales).
    • Make sure you have an Newer ADO version (see MDAC Versions for details).
    • You need to be sure for your client protocols to be configured properly (see Client Network Utility for details).
    • If you are connecting to a remote server and the server name is not resolved with DNS, use the IP address itself instead of the server name.
    • Last but not the List that confirms that Windows XP SP2 is not blocking your connection.

Database selection dialog may be usually caused by one of the following problems:

It may happen that the Server you try to connect to is not configured to use TCP/IP as a communications protocol. You need to Check settings in SQL Enterprise Manager / Properties for the server / tab General / button "Network configuration..."
    The SQL Server (or MS Database Engine) is running on a Windows 2003 Server or Windows XP, and this would be because of you might not correctly patched/updated. This you may check using the Event Viewer (accessible from Control Panel / Administrative Tools) under the Application entries. Look for a message with

Source: MSSQLSERVER/MSDE
    Category:None
    Event:1