Thread: Windows Mono runtime application problem

Windows Mono runtime application problem

My project requirement falls into an application against the windows mono runtime and it should run on Linux, OSX, etc.. and but the developing such application becomes more complicated, and on top of that we have decided to use GTK# so that we don't need to deal with WinForms. Is there then an easy way to bundle the Windows Mono runtimes with my Windows version of the application so that it can all be installed at once? and what will be the minimum runtime mono applications will take?

Regards

Re: Windows Mono runtime application problem

I will suggest some points when you are developing an application with the Windows Mono

1. First Do Not to use platform API.
    2. Don't use hardcode directory & file name separators, i.e. it will be needless to hardcode file paths, instead of that you may use appropraite class to obtain path separator then concat the names it will minimize the level of errors
    3. And also Keep in mind that file names which will have an *nx are case sensitive and on Windows are not. While programming don't refer to the same file as log.txt and this Log.txt will maintain all the related logs but keeps it all small.

Re: Windows Mono runtime application problem

If you are concerned about the the mono application runtime then runtime sizes are not very important for established technologies, this is because once a technology is widely distributed then the typical user would be surprised to not find it on a machine, the fact that the article doesn't actually compare the JDK with Mono, it specifically mentions that such a comparison would not be fair.