Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009

Property reading problem in MSI

I'm trying to read properties from the Property table in an MSI. This is when I right-click on my desktop or go to control panel and go to display properties, there are two tabs that I can't seem to access, "MSI Information" and "MSI Clock." When I click on them I get 3 errors that say: rundll32.exe application error I've tried using pinvoking msi.dll and using MsiGetProperty but it's not working. pinvoke is seriously confusing me so I'm just going off of code samples that I've found online and none of them are working. So i have decided to take an second opinion from you all, please let me know what should we do.
Old 12-06-2009

Re: Property reading problem in MSI

If you wanted to develop an application then there are no built-in tools in Visual Studio to look into the MSI contents.You need to write the properties to the registry during install and then read them back during a repair using AppSearch. MSI is the best option available on Windows OS for packaging and distributing our application.In your case, first modify the cached MSI or if you previous installed with a transform then update the tranform and replace the cached transform. Then trigger the repair in anyway you like. For .NET developers, Visual Studio presents lot of features in creating setup and deployment projects for our application. But, there are no built-in tools in Visual Studio to look into the MSI contents.
Old 12-06-2009

I have tried creating a Session object for the installation by using the OpenProduct method and set properties that would use the property "Property" for the session object. It gives me an instruction at "0x00e135d8" referenced memory at "0x0010020c" memory could not be read, and then: exception unknown software exception, I can't make any changes to the installed package or reinstall it using a transform, patch,etc, so can we Pass MSI properties using VBScript and can also set the automation for repairs?
Old 12-06-2009

I would suggest you to re-install the installation disk, then go into the bios after following the directions given in the Nvidia official site. You need to write the properties to the registry during install and then read them back during a repair using AppSearch.
Old 12-06-2009
casper0191

Have you tried to check if the problem is caused by a virus?

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,