Thread: Hashed Passwords cannot be Decoded

Hashed Passwords cannot be Decoded

I have multiple user accounts, i have maintained different username password for each of my accounts, i have done this to maintain the security for the accounts but this has become the headache to me as sometimes it becomes difficult to remember the password, and for that reason i have decided to decode my password from the encrypted password, does it possible to do with my accounts,please help.

Re: Hashed Passwords cannot be Decoded

Theory of hashing is a one way functions. This means that if you have computed a hash of a password, you cannot get back the password in plain text by the hash.Converting a password to var_binary is not hashing the password at all. Just convert it back to character and see what you get.

Code:
    CREATE LOGIN [TestUser] WITH PASSWORD = 0x01000784DC016AECF087428746D6FD898C39B834CBBD3E82B41A HASHED, SID = 0xC5F52518CC4018458154FBFF79831CFC, DEFAULT_DATABASE = [TestDB], CHECK_POLICY = OFF, CHECK_EXPIRATION = OFF

If your hashing passwords then you cannot really do much about changing them. Since a hash() is a one-way encryption, and therefore the resultant string cannot be decoded back to its original value, your user accounts are provided with more safety than a simple encrypt() offers.

Code:
    <cfcomponent displayname="UserTransferObjectDecorator"
                        extends="transfer.com.TransferDecorator"
                        output="false">
    There is also an undocumented function that you could use,I also suggest you dont email passwords to anyone, hashed or not. Since a hash() is a one-way encryption, and therefore the resultant string cannot be decoded back to its original value, your user accounts are provided with more safety than a simple encrypt() offers. The thing to keep in mind is that the function is undocumented and there are no guarantees made about its behavior or its future availability.

1. In the output script, the logins are created by using the encrypted password. This is because of the HASHED argument in the CREATE LOGIN statement. This argument specifies that the password that is entered after the PASSWORD argument is already hashed.
    2. By default, only a member of the sysadmin fixed server role can run a SELECT statement from the sys.server_principals view.

For more info check here