Thread: Information on Single Threaded Apartments

Information on Single Threaded Apartments

I am learning vb for last some months. I came through multiple properties of it. Like recently I was developing a user control in vb. I tried to add a control to the project. But it was inactive. It was only going to get active if the threading mode is set to single. I want to know more about single threaded apartments. How it works, it's process and the structure.

Re: Information on Single Threaded Apartments

The single threaded apartment offers a message based prototype. It mainly work to deal with many running objects. You can write a more reliable code by this. Evey thread in the action is assigned as a apartment model process. While the retrieves and dispatches windows messages is a single one. Every stays in his own apartment. As the logical group of similar objects that executes the same thread and should have a synchronous execution could stay on the same apartment. As both the interprocess and interthread models are same.

There are some rules you will need to follow in the single threaded apartments. They are simple but it is important to follow them to get an actual result. The first is that Only one thread must be assign to only single object. You will need to initialize the com library of every thread. While passing the objects between apartments you will need to marshal all pointers. At the time of a single process each single thread apartment must have an message loop to handle calls from other processes and apt.

Well for your query all the objects in a single thread will be assigned with the processes in the main thread. The sub main will be called for one time only and there only one set of global variables. The objects is linked with the thread that created it. The sub main is only called at one time for each particular thread.