Thread: Attempted to read or write protected memory error

Attempted to read or write protected memory error

Hi,
    I am running a asp site on a server. Recently was trying to migrate a web application. It was the image gallery of the site. At the time of moving it stopped and gave error - Attempted to read or write protected memory. I then tried back after some time but the same error is poping up. The second problem I got is that I receive the same error when I was converting a xml document via xsl. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory has been corrupted. I worry what can be the cause of this. Please help.

Re: Attempted to read or write protected memory error

I am quiet familiar with the issue. I think you are using custom controls. This is also a sign of a AV in unmanaged code. The main cause of this problem is the security features. These security features imposed many restrictions, policies and permission set to access the data from a web. It also possible that the data which you are trying to access is not available in that location.

Please refer to the stack race. The same problem occurred to me while a gif image in the website was not displayed and I tried to correct it. There can be multiple reason for this error. The first on can be the configuration error of framework. It can also cause due to bad installation. Running a 32 bit version code which tries to call 64 bit. The simple solution for this is to updated your asp version. Due to multiple worker processes the webserver becomes inconsistent. Simply copy an paste the controls dl's and xml files in the bin directory. If nothing works then I will recommend you to reinstall.

Follow the below simple steps. I am not sure about the confirm solution but this worked for me when I had the same problem while working on a xsl transfrom. The below instruction will help to an extent.
    1. Right click on my computer on your desktop.
    2. Click on properties and go to advance tab.
    3. Go to performance tab and select settings.
    4. Got to Data Execution prevention tab and tick on the second option of -
    5. 4. Make sure the radio button labeled “Turn on DEP for all processes and services except the ones I select.
    6. In the below box click on add and browse to the executable files. Select them.
    7. Click OK and restart your system.