Thread: system.io.pathtoolongexception error

system.io.pathtoolongexception error

I am using a C#.Net copying program to copy my files. But now I am getting system.io.pathtoolongexception error message while copying a specific directory. I am quiet confuse why i getting a specific error a particular file only. Is there something missing in the command. What can be the reason for this type of error. Help.

Re: system.io.pathtoolongexception error

I think the file which you want to copy is located very deep in the directory. Once i was getting the error "The path is too long after being fully qualified. Make sure path is less than 260 characters". I was too not able to copy the file. I checked out all the codes and try it again by same problem is occurring again. You will need to check out the path of the file must not be to long. It must come under 248 characters.

The specified path, or file name or both must be having a very long name. They are exceeding the system defined maximum length. For windows the characters in the path name must be 248 characters only and for file name it must be less than 260 character only. May be both of the characters in the both type are exceeding the system limit. Because of that you are getting the specific error. And i don't think so there is a way to increase this limit.

The limit of windows characters in 260. But it not a .Net restriction. Well, we cannot change the value as it is embedded with the system. You system API depends on this value. But there is another way also. Your can use a third party copying software for your problem. I will recommend you Robocopy. Try this.