Thread: Is there a good Open Source Chat Room program that is running on JAVA?

Is there a good Open Source Chat Room program that is running on JAVA?

I wanted to know about a opensource chat room that running on JAVA. I am looking to install a chat room for my web site. I would prefer one that runs on JAVA so I can conserve my resources. Are there any leading Open Source chat room programs? Please let me know.

Re: Is there a good Open Source Chat Room program that is running on JAVA?

Active Data Online WebChat is a HTML, text-based chat software.Some chat servers use a client written as a Java applet. These can work well and often provide features missing from "plain vanilla web page" chat rooms, like avatars and a 3D environment. WebChat provides a means to discuss and share ideas online in real time. WebChat is powered by Microsoft .NET (v 1.1.4322). Unlike traditional chat systems, which use UDP or TCP and comprise a proprietary broadcast server and a proprietary client (typically an ActiveX or a Java applet embedded in a web browser), WebChat uses HTTP, an ASP.NET web server, a relational database, and a standard web browser. There are other ways to create chat rooms. Jabber is a free, open source chat server solution with power to spare, but it requires that users have compatible chat client software. That means users might need to install software on their ccomputers, although the list of compatible programs does include the popular Trillian program.

In essence, with WebChat the client pulls information from the server (here, IIS and a database); with most other systems, the server pushes information to the client. Naturally, there are pro and con is for both kinds of text-based chat systems, but one of the primary benefits of adopting the client-pull approach is that users would not have to download and install ActiveX, .NET Windows Forms, or Java applets. In this way, WebChat is a true Web chat system.

One of the best is Visual Chat. But before you run out and install Visual Chat, consider that 3D environments for chat aren't really all that exciting to use, and not everyone has the Java plug-in correctly installed on their computer. Visual Chat also requires a Java-based server program. Most hosting services won't give you the privilege of running Java applications on your server without paying an extra fee. So Visual Chat is usually not the simplest solution.

Mazen's PHP Chat is an Open Source chat program completely written in PHP4 and JavaScript. Features include: Perpetual data stream - no browser flickering, Easy to extend command api, Fast integration into existing Websites due to template usage.