Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009

Error 40-Could not open a connection

Hi friends,

I am facing an issue while Connection to Sql server whenever i am trying ia m trying to make connection i am getting the following error message

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server.

I don't know whats wrong with this can any one provide me solution for it.
Old 04-05-2009

Re: Error 40-Could not open a connection

Sure i will help you out with this try to follow the below steps.

Click on Start goto Programs, then Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - - >Configuration Tools- - > SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration - >Surface Area Configuration for Services and connections.

Over here do check whether "Local and remote connections" is chosen or not if not then try to follow the below steps:-
  • First open SQL Server Configuration Manager
  • Now Expand SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration under Configuration Tool.
  • Now select Protocols for and set the Named Pipes To Enabled.
Old 04-05-2009

I try to do the above things but still getting Error 40-Could not open a connection message.
Old 04-05-2009

I was also getting Error 40 message but i try to do the following things and it worked for me.

Firstly you need to enable the TCP/IP protocol using the Surface Area Configuration Utility.Over here make sure the TCP/IP protocol is enabled in the SQL Server Configuration Utility and also make sure the SQL Server browser is started. Note that this step is optional. It is possible to set the SQL Server instance to use a fixed IP address.Make sure SQL Server and SQL Server Browser are exempted by the firewall on the server machine. This is done by putting sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe as an exception in the windows firewall.Finally restart your machine and try to connection it again now you won't get Error 40-Could not open a connection error message again.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,