Thread: Virtual directory in IIS 7

sad Virtual directory in IIS 7

hi everyone,

i am beginner to asp.net.
    i built a site which works perfect in my local system(my computer).
    but as i uploaded the same code to the web hosting server it ll give Configuration error.the error is as below..

/////////////////
    Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 53: -->
    Line 54: <authentication mode="Forms"/>
    Line 55: <!--
    Line 56: <customErrors>

Source File: C:\sites\content\y\o\g\yogeshap\web.config Line: 54
    //////////////

i done all type of configeration setting to my IIS 7(guided by others).
    but still it will not work. it is working perfectly in my computer.
    please suggest me to solve the problem.

replies greatly appreciated,
    thanks in advance..

Re: Virtual directory in IIS 7

You have hire a web hoster for your site running or you have setup web server at your place. The Problem related to IIS you are facing may arise in both the consequences either you have setup you own web server or you have decide your web hoster, if you have your web hoster then ask them about this problem.

Because this may possible that web hoster server may not be supporting your site script.which script are you using for your site to run?

I would like to hear more from you..

This error typically occurs when your application does not have a virtual directory established in the Microsoft IIS web server. Your application needs a virtual directory in order to run. See Creating a Virtual Directory for Your Application for instructions on creating a virtual directory. When you create the Virtual Directory on Windows 2003, you must select the “Run Scripts (such as ASP)” in the Virtual Directory Creation Wizard.

Please also check that the .NET Framework version of your application is correctly specified in the virtual directory settings.

Even i was also facing same problem.but problem was ,i was stuck due to duplicate web.config file in a subfolder so As i removed that file error has been gone also dont keep the web.config only in the sub-directory as you need to place it inside root directory also.

Quote Originally Posted by DllD View Post
    You have hire a web hoster for your site running or you have setup web server at your place. The Problem related to IIS you are facing may arise in both the consequences either you have setup you own web server or you have decide your web hoster, if you have your web hoster then ask them about this problem.

Because this may possible that web hoster server may not be supporting your site script.which script are you using for your site to run?

I would like to hear more from you..
    i have hire a web hoster for my site to run. i don't have web server at my place. i am using VB.net as my script language.