Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Winsock API functions and non-prefixed WSA

Software Development

Old 23-04-2009

Winsock API functions and non-prefixed WSA

Hello,

I'm looking for an explanation of the difference between the WSA and their equivalents without the WSA.

For example the difference between select and WSASelect etc ...

Thank you for your reply

Old 23-04-2009

Re: Winsock API functions and non-prefixed WSA

I am not sure, but it is possible that the first WSA functions have arisen before Microsoft publish functions that are compatible with Berkeley sockets.

To read, I usually only the non-WSA functions, except for asynchronous WSAEventSelect () and its sisters and WSAAsyncSelect ().
Old 23-04-2009

So if we want to make a portable application on unix it is better to use functions such as socket, select, send_to, recev_from etc. .... or the only change will be a typedef int SOCKET; not?
Old 23-04-2009

typedef int SOCKET; and # define closesocket close, not to mention the WSAStartup () / WSACleanup () on Windows.
And I have yet to forget, it is best to consult the sample code of provided by most of user freely on the internet.
Old 23-04-2009

Quote:
I am not sure, but it is possible that the first WSA functions have arisen before Microsoft publish functions that are compatible with Berkeley sockets.
No, Winsock compatible BSD since version 1.0. The real contribution in relation to the functions BSD is a better compatibility with Windows. For example, send waiting for the address of a buffer containing the data to be sent and a parameter int indicating the size of this buffer. WSASend expects a pointer to type structures WSABUF. It actually code faster, or at least simply using WSASend instead of send.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,