Thread: JABACO programming language

JABACO programming language

Does anyone has tested the BASIC "Jabaco", a new BASIC VB6 compatible, free and open source, which was released this year.

This is a Basic similar to Visual Basic but leaving the bytecode for the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). The program is portable to all architectures on which a JVM (so far) without rewriting a priory.

It comes with an IDE and most compatible with VB6 is the source port *should* be done quite easily. I will evaluate this BASIC when I have time. If someone has already done, I will return information, including compatibility with VB5 and VB6, the robustness of the compiler and use of databases.

Re: JABACO programming language

Jabaco is a simple programming language with a Visual Basic like syntax. Jabaco enables you to create powerful software for all Java supported operating systems.

Jabaco
    • A BASIC compiler: You write sourcecode similar to VB6 and with Jabaco you can compile it to bytecode which is similar to the output of the Java programing language.
    • An integrated development environment (IDE): Autocompletion, code highlighting, object browsing, a GUI editor and other modern IDE-stuff will support you in your tasks.
    • A debugger: Start the project, step through your sourcelines, readout your vars, fix some bugs and continue the session without a restart.
    • An idea to do something different: Jabaco must be much more than that to exist. It needs a lively framework and an active community - it is on you to decide.

Meet Java and VB6 with me stopped.

The ide has a vague resemblance - it's very light report in VB and unfortunately, if it looks it does not taste at all. One of the great strengths of VB is the management of COM libraries used easily and transparently with the intelligence or adding controls to create an interface, online help. With Jabaco, none of these

In short, it is a more basic one of the few dozen existing I closed it quickly enough and that I hope to reopen in a few time when it has evolved because the initiative is worthwhile.

Difference between VB and Jabaco

The difference between VB and Jabaco are:

The output is certainly not the same - Visual Basic 6 creates native (or p-code) exe-files, which are using the runtimes of VB6, but these runtimes are only available for the Microsoft operating systems. Jabaco creates bytecode which is very fast and runs well on many operating systems. Most of the language is similar to Visual Basic 6, but I have enhanced some parts. E.g. Jabaco is completely object orientated, it supports threading and some other modern developments - I attempted to integrate some things better than other dialects. There are some limitations, but much more possibilities through the java bytecode. Its free to try so take full advantage of this opportunity.

Jabaco is the compiler, not Java - with Jabaco you have everything you need to compile your applications. To run it on your system, you only have to install the newest Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Jabaco is currently free and you can use it without limitations. Just try it.