Thread: Ruby On Rails vs. ASP.Net

Ruby On Rails vs. ASP.Net

Hello to all!

I am developing an application in which i need to decide which script should i use, I have been deciding to go either for Ruby On Rails(ROR) or ASP.Net, I have gone through lot of reading about it, but still some points are not clear,so can anyone suggest me the difference between the two.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Ruby On Rails vs. ASP.Net

I have tested RoR and I think it is fantastic. Programming makes fun and is very nice not to code so much code.

Very good AJAX integration. Unit, functional testing, integration testing integrated (and very easy/fast to use). I think the complete framework is focused on agile development.

And the programming language Ruby is very modern. It is much mode dynamic and not strongly typed like C#, Java,... it has mixins, ... and you can extend a foreign class without modify the source class.
    I think the future in programming are not strongly typed languages - see F# of Microsoft research.
    With scaffolding you can reduce the code you have to write or the drag and drop actions you need.

Since I know about RoR I have fun in programming again and I am much faster and more productive. I hope that RoR will have such a success like PHP. Java and .NET are in my point of view old technology (about 10 years) and have a syntax like C/C++ (much older).

Re: Ruby On Rails vs. ASP.Net

SP.NET is a compiled, managed framework for building web applications on top of the .NET Framework. Rails is a framework upon which developers can build web applications written using the Ruby programming language (scripting language carries a somewhat negative connotation, so I prefer to refer to Ruby as a programming language). If you want more detail on each of the two web application frameworks, feel free to consult the MSDN documentation for ASP.NET and there is a plethora of documentation available for Ruby and Rails as well.

Ruby is a very powerful object-oriented, interpreted programming language that incorporates a lot of extremely good ideas from SmallTalk and other "pure functional" programming languages (such as the ability to utlize lambda expressions, treat code as data, etc). Rails is a framework for creating web applications with Ruby. You use a web server such as WEBrick to run a web host on a given port that executes your Ruby code to produce rendered HTML output.