Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 14-04-2009

supplied argument is not a valid mysql result resource, help

I have written a code running which returns with an error "supplied argument is not a valid mysql result resource" for:

Code:
<?php
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
?>
Can anyone help me out what is wrong here? Thank you
Old 14-04-2009

Re: supplied argument is not a valid mysql result resource, help

Your SQL query is failing. Use the or die mysql_error();. This will display the problem.
Code:
<? 
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `mytable` WHERE `id` = '1'"; 

db_connect();//connecting mysql db function i wrote 

$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error()); 

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){ 

// do some thing here 

}  

mysql_close(db_connect()); 
?>
Old 14-04-2009

This error message indicates that an error occurred in the call to mysql_query, which is indicated by a return of FALSE. FALSE is not a valid resource identifier, and so you get the error shown. When mysql_query returns FALSE, you should echo the error message indicated by mysql_error() to find out what the real error was.
Old 14-04-2009

It is possible that the query failed, or that you failed to connect to the database server. Checking for these potential problems and gracefully handling them should be the way to go.

Incidentally, use mysql_num_rows() not mysql_numrows() as the latter is deprecated.

Using "values" as a table name could create problems since values is a mysql keyword. Try changing the table name and see if it starts working.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,