Malloc which covers an area allocated to the compilation

I have a C source code in which I declare:

Code:
    main()
    {
       float variable=0;
       float * tab;
       tab=malloc(10000*sizeof(float));
       /* Function where I pass variable & tab that contains a loop assigning values to tab[i] */
    }
    For now I put a malloc (10000) instead of [] because I intend to eventually make the size variable at runtime.

The problem I encounter is that "variable" is allocated to address 0X0013fe9C, while the address is pointing 0X0013fe0 tab. Result: the execution of my 4th loop (tab [3] points to 0X0013fe9C, because in my case sizeof (float) = 4) crushes "variable".

What I do not understand is that the memory location of "variable" is reserved for the compilation, while that by pointing tab via the malloc is reserved for the execution. I thought the two were separated. I'm using VS Express 2008.

Re: Malloc which covers an area allocated to the compilation

In this case, variable and tab spaces are stored on the stack. So the exact address is not determined until run-time.

If these fields had been declared outside a function, then they would have been declared on the heap and had an address fixed at compile time (which was then adjusted by the loader when loading the program memory).

A small error is not to cast the return of malloc (), in fact, the compiler should issue a warning. Write:

tab=(float *)malloc(10000*sizeof(float));

Then, there is no reason why tab [x], where x between 0 and 99999, is encroaching on other variables, because the notation with the brackets is equivalent to (address found in tab) + x, and not (address tab) + x.

thank you, I was correct, of course, "variable" is, therefore, are not static location is reserved for the entry in the block on the stack.

But I still reserve my malloc, which already used a ... and I really do not understand why.

tab is equal to 0X0013fe0, which is close to the address of variable. But what is the address in the location 0X0013fe0

@Bull50, you do not used &tab instead of a tab by accident?

@Lemog, it is not necessary - and many (*) consider it bad style to do - to cast the result of malloc in C (that would be necessary in C++, a warning or an error on this line C is usually the result of another problem, forget to include for example).

(*) I do not, but I know I am rather in the minority.