Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009

.Htaccess problem

Hello, I have one .htaccess on a page of my site which is under construction with EasyPHP and when I test my page, it ignores it and displays the page as if nothing had happened ... What may be the problem here?
Thank you
Old 06-04-2009

re: .Htaccess problem

It depends what you put in the file .Htaccess ^ ^

When you make your site in PHP, you are often required to create an "Admin" where access is limited ... And it's better because people who have access to the Admin area can generally be deleted if they wish.

Suppose you create a folder "Admin" in which there are all the files in your site administration. How to prevent anyone accessing these pages?

This is where the files .Htaccess will help us: you can easily create protection for Login / password that prevents access to all files in the folder.

We will have to create 2 files:
.htaccess file: This file will contain the address of. htpasswd and some other options you can define.
.htpasswd: this file contains a list of logins / passwords for each person authorized to access the pages!
Old 06-04-2009

re: .Htaccess problem

Are you running a dedicated box or a shared hosting package?
Of youre on a dedicated box you can set .htaccess as an "over-ride" file.

IF YOU MAKE ANY CHANGED TO YOUR HTTPD.CONF FILE ALWAYS BACK IT UP BEFORE YOU DO SO!

On your httpd.cong filne this directive...
AccessFileName directive

make sure the following is set
AccessFileName .htaccess

In short this is telling Apache to accept modifications to it's configuration based on .htaccess files

Also note .htaccess is an Apache concept, and will not work on non apache servers.
Old 06-04-2009

Re: .Htaccess problem

Be more specific. What browser? What URL? What's in the .htaccess?

Learn how to make backups and practice a few restores. that way when something like this happens you can restore to a previous known good state.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: