Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009

Need help in Excel linking

I want help on something I am trying to do in vain:

I have a fairly large (60C x 2500R). I would like to create external files according to a columns. That is say I want to have a workbook for each month of the year. I have to have connections in both directions, meaning that on some columns, the table base is transmitted to other tables and other columns on other tables feed the main draw.

I know roughly how fixed but the problem is that this picture will evolve with new data and thus new data rows by month to be distributed in folders respectively.
Old 06-04-2009

Re: Need help in Excel linking

I think it'll have to go through the program. VBA is not very complicated and can be bcp of chose.

A specific example: the file or at least a screenshot to better understand the demand.
Old 06-04-2009

Hello,
After some testing with external cabinets a few years ago, I soon came to the conclusion that it was better to use leaves, because the time to update/calculation using external folders quickly become prohibitive, even to do something to extract the necessary data for a particular broadcast.

So if you still want to do filing, make tests to verify performance before investing too much time working.
Old 06-04-2009

@ fellah

This is data that I can not put on the net.

@ XSI

Yes the idea of that was just to have different folders and not have (potentially) 18 people who are working this together.

Should I turn to VBA but I know very little ...
Old 06-04-2009

The I think you reached the limits of Excel, transfer info bi-directional, 18 potential users at the same time it ...

Not surprisingly, but an example may be based on real data with cans ...

If you want my opinion, and if you master a slightly Excel, you turn instead to Access.

Entering data like Excel if you spend directly from the tables
Accessible network
Centralization of information
Etc.

If you need help with Access, no problem. In addition to the data dictionary from Excel to Access is easily transportable.

Best regards

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,