Thread: How to sign ActiveX dll by visual studio 2008

How to sign ActiveX dll by visual studio 2008

hi,
    How can I create a activeX DLL file with Visual Studio 2008.i have two options, depending on deployment environment, On the Signing tab the "Sign the assembly check box". On the popup menu select Properties, I have checked the option "Sign the assembly" in the project's property page Signing section.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: How to sign ActiveX dll by visual studio 2008

OpenSSL 0.9.7c can be used by digital signature schemes to digitally sign documents. The Open SSL library uses some but not all of these algorithms. To compile for the Win32 platform, Perl or compiling under Cygwin is required. Some of the encryption routines/algorithms are covered by patents. Open SSL 0.9.7c lets applications use Secure Sockets Layer (v2/v3).

Signing a control with a digital signature and giving users your certificate just allows them to verify that the control they download really did come from you, and wasn't tampered with by someone else. They still would get the dialog box asking them if they want to trust your content, at least the first time if they have their web browser settings at the defaults.

You could ask your users to install your certificate first, put it in the trusted category, and then set their web browsers to always trust content with a valid signature from you. This would get rid of the security pop-ups, but only because the user specifically instructed the computer to allow it.

hi,
    To sign an ActiveX control you need a digital certificate. You can generate your own for test purposes using the "makecert" program. An official certificate is something you purchase from Verisign or some other authority. They make you go through a process to verify your identity.

Hi,

Did you ever find out how to create an ActiveX control in Visual Studio 2008? If so, please let me know, since I'm looking at doing the same thing. Thanks.