Thread: Creating 3D video games

Creating 3D video games

I like to have information on creating (programming) of a video game in 3D. I learned the C and the C++ language. And now I am a little lost between the following and hope you can enlighten me:

- What are the library and which ones to use? (SDL? SFML? GLUT ...)
    - What 3D engine?
    - What library functions? (OpenGL or DirectX?)
    - What physics engine?

Here I was told that SDL does that make 2D but others tell me we can even do 3D by using a library of functions OpenGL style. This is not it better to use SFML which is according to other more appropriate?

I would like to have the opinion of a person more experienced than me

Re: Creating 3D video games

I can not talk to much but I will try:

I can only understand irrlicht

The creation of a 3D game in C++ is a combination of several pieces. So, I suggest you this:

Irrlicht (3D engine) - Manages the 3D display, certain sounds, effects, control, in short, it's a 3D engine firmly for your game

Then you need the libraries to compile on DirectX if you want to look for the SDK.

In ODE physics engine is very good and fits perfectly with Irrlicht with good management entities. This is not the only one in this case, Newton was also excellent and has better error handling but it is a bit greedy.

Alternatively, DarkGDK offers the power, flexibility and compatibility with Newton and Irrlicht ODE as only. It seems to me that it is not too buddy cards with Quake 3, they work but sometimes ...

Remains to be seen what are the possibilities that you ask your engine ...

Apparently for the time you do not know much, so before you start in the big bath with lots of different engines, I suggest you start with the basics: for now, you can already forget the physics engine.

Already info for your game uses OpenGL or DirectX necessarily (well, say 99% of the time on PC). However, some libraries or some engines will make OpenGL or DirectX almost invisible to you, acting as an overlay. This is the case for all those you mentioned except GLUT, if I say no stupidity.

If you are sure of yourself, you can try to launch you directly into the 3d, but to start it is wiser to make a small 2d game before moving up a gear, it avoids having too many things to swallow at once. Tetris for example.

So the 'soft': download the SDL or SFML and begin to "play" with a project of game where you can already address some concepts for video games. GLUT is a bit different, it is simply an interface between OS and OpenGL but unlike SDL SFML or there is not tons of features to simplify the development of a game: it should be fend oneself with OpenGL.

Ogre and Irrlicht is to simplify the development of a 3D game, if you do not have cold eyes. It is not necessary to make a 3D game (like I said, they themselves use DirectX or OpenGL) but it will make you skip steps not necessarily exciting if your goal is to make a game, not an engine (but much exciting for those who want to make the hands dirty). To make the choice between the two, apparently Irrlicht Ashok counsel with you, what I hear here and there Ogre is very fashionable these days ... bah I let others answer them on this point!

Ok thank you for your answers, I hope to have more answers on the subject.

Regarding 2D video games, I have already achieved, but using software such as rpg maker xp, and on games, 2D is a bit tired. I honestly go to something else, so I want to get into 3D.

Elsewhere to meet if you had (Ashok) tutorials on Irrlicht, Ode, or OggPlay DirectX learned a lot that you like or well, would be nice to give me the address of the site, or the references of a book.

Otherwise for info I compile under code

The Irrlicht tutorials can be found on http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index...Main.Tutorials

Regarding ODE and Oggplay the respective sites are fairly well documented, at worst, we find easily such codes in the SDK.

http://www.ode.org/download.html offer Download ODE with some code examples