Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009

HTML file doesn't play the embedded SWF file

Hello,

I have a few pages with .swf movie files embedded in the .html , But whenever open that HTML files it just hangs on loading and wont load. I'm sure its a simple fix but I cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-03-2009

Re: HTML file doesn't play the embedded SWF file

a) try using absolute paths, just so you can see if the thing works

b) is it perhaps that relative filenames should be relative to the html file and not the swf?

I am only learning now myself but I hope this will be useful.
Old 10-03-2009

It doesn't sound like the problem has anything to do with Flash, but rather that your web server recognizes .html files as web pages but not .htm files. It's unusual that .htm would not be set properly, but it does match the behavior you describe.

If the web server does not indicate the MIME type, or says that it is unknown, Internet Explorer on Windows tries to guess the type based on the first few bytes of the document, whereas Firefox forces you to save the page. the former is arguably more user-friendly, but the latter is definitely more secure.

Check with your server administrator to see if the MIME type for .htm is set to text/html, or if you use Apache, add the line

AddType text/html .html .htm

to the .htaccess file in your web root directory.
Old 10-03-2009

Make sure you have flash player

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,