Thread: How to Sort subfolder within folders

How to Sort subfolder within folders

Hello,

I am looking for any software that allows me to sort a bunch of folders automatically due to my specified criteria.

To name an example:
    • I have 1 huge folder that contains 1000 subfolders which all contain a text file that specifies a month.
    • So i want the tool to be able to look at that month then grab the entire folder that contained the file and copy it to a folder i specified.

Does anyone know of a program of method that can do this?

Re: How to Sort subfolder within folders

I think there is no such software which sorts the folders, it is only windows in-built application which organize the folder whenever we create a new folder and adding it to the remaining folders.
    If you wanted to sort the folders by the date,size,last edited then this would be possible in the windows explorer by right clicking and putting then cursor over sort.

The control panel > folders > folder presentation switch is the master control for presenting objects in folders.

The folder-level "sort" page is an override for this master control in case you need some folder to sort differently from the default. What the folder-level "sort" page does is automatically apply sort sequence numbers to override the control panel sorting, and any individual user preference settings, and maintain the order you specified.

This is less flexible than the control panel master sorting, because it will not dynamically update as new objects are added to the folder. For example, if you use Alphabetical sorting within a folder, and "newest first" in the control panel, and you add a new item to the folder beginning with "M," it won't appear in the M's, but at the beginning or end of the list, depending on what type of object it is. When you add another new object of the same type, it will appear above the first new one you added, because it's newer.

In other words, old objects which have had the folder level sort applied to them will remain in that order until their sort sequence numbers are changed, and new objects added after that will obey the rules for the control panel master switch. You can go back to the folder at any time and update the folder-level sorting to re-sort the objects.

To clear the sort sequence numbers and go back to complete control panel control, use the "default order from Control Panel" option.
    PLEASE NOTE: If you even visit the folder-level sort page, sort sequence numbers will be applied to the contents and the control panel sorting will be overridden.

XYplorer (http://www.xyplorer.com/). There's a free version (search for XYplorerFree) that can do all of this as well, but the paid version is far better and continuously developed.