Thread: Installing Java JDK and setting PATH

Installing Java JDK and setting PATH

Hello Friends,

I have downloaded new java JDK for programming in JAVA language, I have installed JDK properly but my friend told me it is required to setup environmental variable so that all the programs will run properly.

Please tell me where and how to set PATH for the variable.

Regards

Re: Installing Java JDK and setting PATH

Hi,

you will set your system's PATH variable to conveniently run the Java 2 SDK executables (javac.exe, java.exe, javadoc.exe, etc.) from any directory without having to type the full path of the command. If you don't set the PATH variable, you need to specify the full path to the executable every time you run it, such as:

C:> \j2sdk1.4.1\bin\javac MyClass.java

While you do not need to set your system's PATH variable to run Java, other software you will install later expects that your PATH variable will already have been set.

It's useful to set the PATH permanently so it will persist after rebooting.

The steps below show you how to set the environment variables in a command window. The settings are only valid for that window. If you close the command window or open a new command window, you must set the environment variables again.
    Tip: You can also set environment variables permanently. For example, on Windows you can use the Control Panel to permanently set the environment variables.

To set the environment variables:

1. Set the DERBY_HOME environment variable to the location where you extracted the Derby bin distribution. For example, if you installed Derby in the /opt/Derby_10 directory on UNIX or in the c:\Derby_10 directory on Windows, use the following command to set the DERBY_HOME environment variable:

In Windows set the command as
    set DERBY_HOME=c:\Derby_10.
    Be certain that the java.exe file, version 1.4.2 or, higher is in your command execution PATH. Open a command window and run the java -version command.

Add the DERBY_HOME/bin directory to the PATH environment variable so that you can run the Derby scripts from any directory.

In Windows set the command set PATH=%DERBY_HOME%\bin;%PATH%. If you use the Control Panel to update your system PATH, add %DERBY_HOME%\bin to the end of the PATH environment variable

Tip: When the DERBY_HOME environment variable is set and the underlying /bin directory is included in the PATH environment variable, you can use shortened commands to start the Derby tools. Otherwise, either you must be in the directory where the script that starts the Derby tool is located, or you must specify the full path to the location of the script when you want to start the tool.

For setting the Java environment variables for Windows are as follows follow the following:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...cmbapmst26.htm

Hey thanks for such a nice question I have just downloaded the java JDK & needed to install & I think this is going to help me in the process!

Thanks again!