Thread: Programming Software for Developing Games

Programming Software for Developing Games

hi there

Please help me in finding a good software in games developing application. There is a night school course that will help a beginner so i should know few software's on gmae development application. They are teaching on Dev c++,
    but i wanted to know that is visual c++ also for the same application ?

Please provide some views on it

your views will be appreciated

Re: Programming Software for Developing Games

Dev C++ is a free source IDE compiler and that is it. It is the interface in which you use to compile your games down to executable files. The fact that it is free is what attracts academic atmospheres to the compiler over Microsofts Visual C++. Really and truthfully aside from the odd set up quarks they are the same package in different decorations. Granted they each use different compilers but you can create the same game with minimal modificiation in each compiler.

Granted Dev C++ has its benefits such as freely adding packages and setting compiler options and in the newer versions it handles more code auto completing from self written libraries and imported lib. IMHO it takes less overhead to learn Dev C++ than it does to learn Visual C++ but do not forget Visual C++ also known as VissyC++ (which is what I refer to it as) integrates nicely with the Windows system but not so nicely with GLUT packages that allow you to wirte once and compile for many systems.

Pretty much it is shearly a matter of prefrence on which you use. For shear OpenGL or DirectX Game Dev I'd stick with Dev C++ until you learn what you are doing. Once you learn how to write the code there and the algorithms behind the game engines then you can easily move to any other IDE such as Visual C++ or C++ Builder for instance.

They are only means of getting to the same end result with different set up options and if you ever hope to aspire to be a great Game Dev you need to pull yourself away from being able to write in only one IDE and write in them all.

XNA - Game software for beginners

Microsoft has released beta version of XNA Game Studio Express. This software suite for game development represents new gate into computer games world. This development environment is designed for creating PC games working on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista operating systems, and for Xbox 360 game consoles. These days the full version is available, and moreover you can subscribe the game development challenges and win some prizes. It’s time to review Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express

Current computer games cutting-edge titles “with three A“ compete who brings better and higher quality of visual cover, more realistic physical principles implementation, or more authentic stylization of imaginary worlds. And who still doesn’t know he should be assured the computer games are definitely not cheap projects – development costs and surrounding overhead goes to millions. Digital arts are actually powered by technologically sophisticated game engines and their development usually takes several years of intensive work.

I realize this probably won't help you at all. But the first engine I developed was one for making MUD games [which are text only]. While kinda boring it does have a fast completion time.

This helped me understand C++ object oriented design without having to worry about graphics api's, sounds and etc. Also it gave me a good knowledge of the MFC api, which I used to make the 'editor' for the rooms.

It also tought me, (through disasterous consequences), that the things my comp sci teachers preached were all too true. Planning and Paper Algorithms are a 'necesity' for serious design