Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6

Software Development


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 51
Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6
  

Hello ,

I'd like to learn how to use a visual basic, but for now I am completely confused in the first place .I would like know the difference between:
Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic 2005 or documentation which will ne really useful beginners.

Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 115
Re: Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aasha View Post
Hello ,

I'd like to learn how to use a visual basic, but for now I am completely confused in the first place .I would like know the difference between:
Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic 2005 or documentation which will ne really useful beginners.

Thank you in advance.
Quote:
visual basic 6
Horribly broken, outdated, obsolete.

Quote:
visual basic 2005
Less broken and not outdated as is the current Official Visual Basic Microsoft.

Quote:
where to find documentation for beginners

In the documentation that came with VB 2005, there is ample basis. You know, this is not because we feel that the beginner should feel obliged to learn a language with "Basic" in the name.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,845
You can install Visual Basic 2005 Express edition for free, which is very nice on the part of Microsoft. The big advantage with this system, it comes with a lot of docs, and there are a lot of books for beginners VB 2005 is the best at this level. you can use the tutorials Microsoft (VB coach for example) or take as a starting one of many books on VB 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,290
Re: Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6

Check this similar thread

Difference between VB and VB.net

you can get Bit more idea
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,999
Re: Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6

Personally, I think it is just as good if not better then VB6. I think I might be slightly misunderstood. I think that VB.Net is better than VB6 in 95 percent of applications. For the other 5% of the projects I run into I find that I can get programs that accomplish the same goals built faster with vb6. I could just be me, but it seems that VB.Net is so robust I have trouble gettings small, "quick and dirty" programs out there in a pinch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-01-2009
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,005
Re: Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6

I ignored VB 2002 & 2003 as I felt the IDE was a major step backwards from the one in VB 6. VB 2005, however, is worth learning. I wouldn't migrate existing code unless it is a library routine or needs major enhancement, especially since the VB 6 and VB 2005 IDEs will nicely coexist on the same machine. Also, when migrating code, don't use the converter in VB 2005. It's easier to simply import the vb 6 code via copy & paste. You actually get fewer conversion errors than from the upgrade wizard. That said, I have discovered that the enhanced features in VB 2005 are slowly making it harder and harder for me to go back and maintain VB 6 programs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Visual Basic 2005 or Visual Basic 6"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting Visual Basic to sql 2005 JAMAAL26 Software Development 3 08-12-2009 04:42 AM
Visual Basic 2005 executable sharing Nitsudge Software Development 3 27-08-2009 11:06 PM
what are Visual Basic IDE? Naresh Modi Software Development 2 06-03-2009 08:49 AM
Is GUI same like Visual Basic ? Caesar Software Development 2 02-03-2009 12:32 PM
Visual Basic on LAN djbbenn Software Development 2 05-08-2008 02:15 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:59 PM.