Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 15-01-2009

Mci32.ocx error in windows vista

Hello,

Has anyone tried to run the multimedia mci32.ocx under wibdows vista? For my part, in an application written and compiled in VB6 SP4, I have always an error 339 to the opening of the sheet containing the control.

Thank you in advance for your help
Best regards.
Old 15-01-2009

Re: Mci32.ocx error in windows vista

I had the same message when starting to reinstall software on a newly restored computer yesterday, under Vista. I needed older versions of Visual Basic/Studio in order to access all my old data. I first got that message with VB6 but ignored it and ran the install anyway. It seems to work. Then I installed Visual Studio 2005 and got the same incompatibility message, which surprised me. I installed it anyway. Today I installed Visual Studio 2008, without those messages.
Old 15-01-2009

the MCI32.ocx file by default do not exist on the windows Vista operating system. Therefore, if you try to run an application that uses the file, you may receive the following error:

Quote:
Run-time Error '339' component ‘MCI.32.OCX' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
The first and the easiest method to solve the error is to first uninstall, and then, reinstall the application that is causing the problem. Reinstalling the application will install all the required files including DLL and OCX files and may resolve the problem

you can try to re-register the OCX to handle. Goto the Run Command Under the start menu

Type: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mci32.ocx. Hope this helps.
Old 15-01-2009

Problem solved:

I tried the following manipulation on Vista as suggested above :
  • Start - Run - Cmd then in the command line:
  • regsvr32 c: \ windows \ system32 \ mci32.ocx

In response I got an error message "0x8002801c"

By entering this error number as a criterion in a search engine, I got the following solution:
  1. Create a shortcut on the desktop Vista pointing to c: \ windows \ system32 \ cmd.exe.
  2. Right click on the shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".
  3. -nter again in the command line to regsvr32 the call as above.

AND IT WORKS!

So it was not a problem ocx component itself, but the way regsvr32. According to the posts that I read, it can be used for any component or any ocx dll.

Hoping that this is useful for others ...
Old 15-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharukh View Post
Problem solved:

I tried the following manipulation on Vista as suggested above :
  • Start - Run - Cmd then in the command line:
  • regsvr32 c: \ windows \ system32 \ mci32.ocx

In response I got an error message "0x8002801c"

By entering this error number as a criterion in a search engine, I got the following solution:
  1. Create a shortcut on the desktop Vista pointing to c: \ windows \ system32 \ cmd.exe.
  2. Right click on the shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".
  3. Enter again in the command line to regsvr32 the call as above.

AND IT WORKS!

So it was not a problem ocx component itself, but the way regsvr32. According to the posts that I read, it can be used for any component or any ocx dll.

Hoping that this is useful for others ...
No this is not it.
Mci32.ocx that it is not properly installed. If mci32.ocx had been installed (correctly), there was no need to hire regsvr32. For a COM component (mci32.ocx is an ActiveX, so it's primarily a COM component) is installed, it must be registered in the system. This registration is done with the regsvr32 tool. And it is clear that Regsvr is an administration tool, if anyone could save anything. So regsvr32 must run with administrator rights in effect. This is not related to the way therefore regsvr32 works, but how Vista works.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,