Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 13-01-2009

How to edit .cgi files ?

I am helping a friend to edit some pages of his company web pages. The creators of the site have moved out of town.

Most of the pages are html. I have used Front Page and text editors to edit those pages. Several pages are .cgi format. Looking at the code the parts of the pages are relatively simple and does not involve much headache.

But I got stuck when editing .cgi files? Can anyone help me to do so?
Old 13-01-2009

Re: How to edit .cgi files ?

The CGI 'script' is a binary and uneditable by the end user. The CGI is a compiled binary for better performance.
Old 13-01-2009

CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface and it's usually written in a format called a script. These scripts are commonly used to run guestbooks, message boards, chat rooms, games, etc. The great fact about CGI is that if you learn how to install one script, you'll be able to install almost any one you want.

You can open and edit CGI scripts in a basic text editor (Notepad, for example). CGI scripts are really no different than normal text files that usually end with either .cgi or .pl. They are written in ASCII format, and can be opened and viewed using any text editor. Don?t ever use an HTML editor to edit or save CGI scripts.
Old 13-01-2009

A file with the CGI file extension is a Common Gateway Interface Script file. The easiest way to open a CGI file is to double-click on it and let your PC decide which default application should open the file. If no program opens the CGI file then you probably don't have an application installed that can view and/or edit CGI files. In such case, choose Notepad or another text editor to open the CGI file.
Old 13-01-2009

Personally, I love UltraEdit.

UltraEdit is what you're looking for. UltraEdit is a powerful disk-based text editor, programmer's editor, and hex editor that is used to edit HTML, PHP, javascript, Perl, C/C++, and a multitude of other coding/programming languages.

Open cgi file in UltraEdit and start editing...

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,