Thread: Problem with DATABASE

Problem with DATABASE

Hi Developers,

I have a database made in Access with all the much needed stuff,there are relationships between tables , some tables with some genuine and also created data. Currently i am working on the idea of breaking down data, removing duplicates etc in simple words Normalization.

So my question .... is very much general .....if I have a Order table which consists of Product ID, Sales person ID, Delivery Priority ID and Delivery Date and another table which is called Delivery Priority with the values of Delivery Priority ID and Delivery Priority.

Both the tables are linked through the Delivery Priority ID key.

Now if the Delivery Priority table has values like:

Delivery priority ID, Delivery Priority
    • Very Low
    • Low
    • Medium
    • High
    • Very High

When the user is filling out the data in the Delivery form and they get to the delivery priority part will they input keys like 1,2,3,4 or 5 or will they have to input data like Very Low, Low etc ????

Suppose sometime later I want to change the state name from 'Very High' to 'Important' Will I have to go through each record in the Delivery form and change it from Very High to Important?

Thanks

Re: Problem with DATABASE

Try to make use of the dropdown list the user do not have to enter anything let them make a choice once the numeric Delivery Priority ID is inserted into the Delivery table, and you can go ahead and change the description of the Delivery Priority any time you want with no further change to any existing Deliveries.

Thanks for your prompt help buddy .....

Can you resolve this for me .... how would a user know which id number is which delivery priority id? For example if a user enters some information in the delivery form, and they get to the delivery priority part (drop down list) will the list include 1 to 5 or the actual text?

Thanks in advance.....

The user will see both ......the dropdown list will show the user the descriptions, but use the ids under the covers... and whenever he selects he will select the id's(1,2,3,4,5)...