Thread: How do i Auto-generate HTML File Index

idea How do i Auto-generate HTML File Index

Hello Friends,

I'm trying to make a bunch of backups of certain DVDs. So, i would like to know that how do i atuo-generate HTML file indexes for the files and folders of the DVD that i'm trying to make it. Does any body knows about it,that how can i do so? Can any body provide me the correct logical steps for doing it? Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do i Auto-generate HTML File Index

Here's how to create a context menu item that when clicked will generate an editable text file listing of the selected directory.

Step 1 - Create A Batch File

To create the entry in the context menu it's necessary to first create a .bat file. The format for the .bat file is:

Code:
    dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelisting.txt

The name of the .txt file can be whatever you'd like it called. In the example above it's filelisting, but it could just as easily be filelist, listoffiles, namedfiles, or even wally if you have a sense of the bizarre. Once you've decided on the name, create the file in Notepad and save the file in your Windows folder as shown below. If you want, just copy and paste the example up above if you don't find wally intriguing.

Step 2 - Modify The Context Menu

Now that we have the .bat file created the next step is to make it functional and easily accessible by integrating it into the context menu that opens when a right click is executed. To do this:

Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, then click Folder Options. Click the File Types tab, and then click Folder. Click the Advanced button and then click New to pen the New Action box.

type the name that you want to appear in the context menu. Once again, you have a wide latitude in choices but something akin to Create File Listing will probably be more useful than naming it Martha Stewart. As you can see in the example above, I ditched Martha in favor of Create File Listing. Sorry Martha. Browse to the location where the .bat file you created is located, select it and let it be the Application Used to Perform Actions. Click OK and do the standard Windows dance of Apply and OK again to close all the open windows.

That's it. You've created a new item on the context menu that's ready to go to work. So now that's it there, what can you do with it? Open up Windows Explorer.Navigate to whatever folder you want to use as the basis for the file list and right click to open the context menu. Click on the Create File Listing item and the list will be generated and displayed at the bottom of the open window as filelisting.txt. The example below was created from the Sample Music folder shown above. Since it is a text file it can be fully edited, copied, pasted, printed, etc for any purpose.

Note: If for any reason you want to remove the Create File Listing entry from the context menu it will be necessary to edit the registry. This can be accomplished by navigating to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Create_File_Listing using regedit and deleting the Create_File_Listing key in the left pane. Close regedit and reboot to complete removal.

Re: How do i Auto-generate HTML File Index

Since you are going to Auto Generate the complete menu system, it does not matter which item is currently selected in the Pop Menu Magic interface. The existing menu will be completely replaced with the generated menu.

Click the Complete Menu button to open the Auto Generate interface.
    Any changes you make to the options in the interface are automatically saved and will be used as the defaults the next time the Auto Generate system is used. This allows you to specify your root file and various filters only once. They will be recalled each time you use the system.